Friday, July 2, 2010

Finally, home after a 16 year hiatus! It occurred to me this morning that we have in fact only been home once (in 1994) since we left for Ontario in 1982. I can hardly believe that time could get away from you like that. But given the fact that I turn 50 this summer and will be a grandmother before year end I better get used to the idea of the passage of time!!!

But I digress ... Newfoundland is exactly as I remember it. Everyone said that I would notice changes. While there are buildings and roads that didn’t exist on our last trip, Newfoundland hasn’t changed – YEAH!!! I was really hoping it hadn’t…

Our flight out of Toronto was uneventful. Delayed by about 15 minutes when the plane didn’t arrive and then by about 30 minutes on the runway when they had to replace a computer the pilot assured us really didn’t matter much except that it was, “Part of the navigation system and would help, to be sure it was St. John’s we landed in.” … gotta love WestJet! The wait was fine though. The night before we left I was lamenting the fact that I didn’t have family pictures to share. Mary-Kate stayed up (until goodness knows when!) and while waiting for the flight I browsed a scrapbook that made me cry … thanks Mary-Kate.

As we flew into St. John’s I suspected not a lot had changed since the cloud cover was thick enough we couldn’t see much. Just a little break to catch a glimpse of the narrows and Cabot Tower (not a long enough glimpse to get a picture, but they will come when we visit).

Leaving the airport the first thing I noticed was the smell. If smell had a colour, Newfoundland smells green. I know you are all laughing at me now and some of you have no idea what I’m talking about, but it’s the only way I know to describe it. It’s a sweet smell of clean … fresh … trees … sea … I don’t know but it’s one of the things I have missed the most. Newfoundland has a smell that I have longed for. Grant (my brother for those of you saying, “Who?”) says he knows what I mean. Apparently the air quality index is always the same for Newfoundland. He wonders why they report it since it NEVER changes!

The trees didn’t get any taller in my absence either. I guess it’s the combination of the weather, wind and rocky soil on the Avalon Peninsula but the trees are short and sparse. But check this out! I can’t lupins to grow in my garden at home but here they grow on the side of the road in a rocky ditch!! Too much lovin’ may be my problem!





In true Newfie fashion, I wasn’t in the province half an hour before I had a drink in my hand! Red for Canada Day and quite tasty! Then it was off the have a look around. A stop at MooMoo’s for the best ice cream in the world … just wait Cliff and Liz!


While we sat on the sidewalk and devoured our ice cream I noticed that the parked cars on the street were a perfect colour match to the row of jellybean houses! Same colour – same order. Check it out!



We came home and lay down for short rest before dinner. I was sure I wouldn’t sleep. TWO HOURS later, we woke to a steady rain, we’re in Newfoundland alright! Had a delicious BBQ, rain can’t stop my brother from cooking one mean steak! We went to bed wondering if we would sleep after the grand nap, nine hours later (!!) we are now awake, bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to start the day.

3 comments:

  1. I love the picture with the cars! Too funny.
    Glad you made it there OK.

    -Anna-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great start to the trip! I can hardly wait to see the lupins growing wild.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Liz, there are so many of them you won't have any trouble. Every road side ditch is full! Be sure to pack long pants and warm sweaters though...

    ReplyDelete