
Spent the day just wandering. We started out at Confederation Building (provincial legislature) where it was “cold enough to freeze the arse off ya”. No small wonder Gaspar Corte Real looks as stern as he does! Beautiful views of the city though, Cabot Tower in the distance and reviewing the history of the province but being high and open left us at the mercy of the wind. I had forgotten how cold a warm summer day could be! Got a pitcure of John Cabot just for you Andrew.



Downtown for some more wandering and lunch, and ate at the Duke of Duckworth for those Republic of Doyle fans who are following. The pan fried cod and chips (French fries in mainland speak) were awesome and of course had to be washed down with a pint of Black Horse. David said his fish and chips were perfect, “They don’t bother you with coleslaw.” Who knew coleslaw was a bother! I really had forgotten too just how incredible fresh fish is.

Shopping and poking around uncovered treasures galore including stumbling on the B&B Cliff and Liz have booked. Great location and views. Here’s a little preview…


Dropped in for a little visit with my best friend from grade 6 through university. We were so busy catching up that I just now realized that I forgot to take any pictures but will do that when we go back tomorrow to share a meal with them. The Sons of Erin are playing tomorrow night at Shamrock City so we just may end the evening there. Husbands didn’t seem quite so keen when the idea came up for discussion, but I saw the gleam in her eye! Stay tuned to learn which of the sexes rules the social calendar … as if that were a real question!
We ended the evening at Zapata’s with a tasty Mexican celebration of Grant’s birthday. Like most buildings downtown it's built on "a bit of a hill". Check out the parking outside the restaurant! Mom and Dad (thank you) sent money to Grant and David for their birthdays so we had a night on the town on them! George Street was hopping and we spent the evening at O’Rielly’s listening to Bill Kelly opening for the Punters who started at 11:30! I have clearly gotten old since apparently the night just gets going as I’m ready to call it a night! Good thing I had 11 hours sleep last night to prepare!! It was slightly embarrassing though since there was a fellow there, Stevie Lake, clearly a regular, tap dancing each time they played a jig … he was 80!!


I never knew Stevie Lake's name but we were always so excited to see him at O'Reilly's. He has such joie de vivre! We were introduced to The Punters at O'Reilly's too, and we have one of their CDs in our Nfld collection. I recommend that you go see The Navigators if you get the chance.
ReplyDeleteThanks for blogging, Maggie!
Elizabeth F-D
I love the way you're checking out the nightlife. Ir sounds like we should be in training for all the walking, eating and drinking.
ReplyDeleteFunny you should say that since the Navigators are next on the list! Grant's favourite and our next plan for George Street - stay tuned!
ReplyDelete