Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 11 and 12

I know, I know, it looks like we skipped Sunday. We didn’t and it was indeed another lovely day. A tad hot for my taste - in Newfoundland, who knew? Our day yesterday was spent visiting with people who didn’t want their picture taken and posted and I came to my computer to find a little cartoon taped to the front. It was a sketch of a dog leaning up against a dog house with a computer on his lap. A woman is passing by reading a sign that says – Beware of Blog … maybe a hint from my brother to cool it?

After Mass at St. Teresa Mundy Pond we were once again following our noses when we noticed Aunt Imelda gardening! Having discovered where her new house is apparently … we stopped for a lovely, impromptu visit. Leaving there we decided to continue with the visiting trek and had a reunion with Uncle Jim and Aunt Blondie. Blondie is not only Dad’s sister but also my godmother. The afternoon was spent catching up and being reminded that some things will never change, no matter how long you are away! My Aunt Blondie is a bit of an outrageous character to say the least and they kept us entertained for the rest of the afternoon.

We went back to Grant’s for supper since they had planned a BBQ with Ruth’s sister. We had a lovely evening. The brontosaurus was cooked to perfection. Grant is quite the backyard chef. And yes, it was brontosaurus. There has never been a cow roamed this earth as big as the steak he put on my plate. It could have served as a village feast somewhere!

Today, Monday, they are back at work and we set out for our last day of independent exploring. We are so eager for Cliff and Liz to arrive tomorrow. We have so much to share with them. I started a list today of the “musts” – it filled an entire page. Hope they are ready. We’ve decided they can rest when they get back to Ontario. Tomorrow the party begins!

Today though, we headed down the shore to Cupids. Cupids boast of being the first English community in Canada and are celebrating their 400th birthday this year. Despite the fact that they have indeed rolled out the red carpet to welcome visitors, it is still very easy to imagine this hamlet as it appeared when John Guy first sailed from Bristol in 1610. Like so much of Newfoundland, life clings to the coast. Houses are literally built into the side of the cliff providing easy access to the sea. Liz sent a message the other day, a little concerned that we would have seen everything before they got here and not be as enthralled to visit again. They needn’t worry. I honestly believe that I could spend the rest of my days on any one of the million rocks by the sea and never tire of sweet air, cool breezes and magnificent vistas! David and I have often dreamed of returning to the sea. I know now it will never happen in any sort of permanent way since I would miss my beautiful children here far more than I miss the beautiful sea in Ontario. But I also know it will NOT be another 16 years before I return!

This evening we went to my cousin Sharon’s for dinner and had a spectacular time! I am so very blessed to have such wonderful people in my life. We can be apart for years and then get together like no time had passed. She and her boyfriend John were delightful, gracious hosts. The surroundings were incredible. Sharon has created an oasis in the city that is welcoming and serene, comfortable and inspiring. Combine that with magnificent company and the evening had to be a winner. Following a delicious dinner of Newfoundland salmon that Sharon did not catch – in a very funny story that had John describing her on her first time salmon fishing being like “one of those little things where you put a quarter in the back”. Apparently, though unsuccessful, she did not lack determination!

Throughout the evening we shared family stories and memories … I think that’s one of the most wonderful thing about families – shared stories. At one point we ventured inside to look through pictures and shed a tear for dear, dear Uncle Con, Sharon’s father. We ended the evening around a fire in the backyard with a glass of rum, raised in toast to a man we knew was smiling down, rather pleased at our reunion!

The one is for Mom! Makinson's is the town that is named in honour of my maternal grandfather's family.



The flags that fly throughout Cupids, advertising the birthplace of English Canada. Lots of Union Jacks as well - this one was huge!





My view for much of this (and every) holiday!



This house is literally built on the edge of the cliff above the ocean. Recently completed it boast uncovered windows at the back of the house that allow clear views of the ocean from every chair. Even laying in the bed you see no land, only ocean due to cleverly placed windows. Magnificent!










Notice how crystal clear the water is?




Happy to do nothing else! Here's how I spend much of my time.


My cousin Sharon and me with a glass of dark rum in memory of her Dad, my Uncle Con.



Sharon's backyard pond.




Still Sharon's yard ... she has done all this and it is incredibly beautiful.

Life is good!

1 comment:

  1. So Cliff arrives and you have no more time to blog??? You can't cut us off cold turkey...

    ReplyDelete