Instead of heading out around the bay as planned we decided to do some visiting. After breakfast and a wet, dreary walk to Tim Horton’s (some things are necessary, even in the rain!) we headed out to try and catch our friends Len and Sharon LeRiche. They were dear friends when we lived in St. John’s. Len was best man at our wedding and we are godparents to their oldest son Matthew… now Dr. LeRiche if you please! We have kept in touch over the years. They visited us once in Mississauga. We stayed with them the last time in ’94. But the occasional visit and little parcels at Christmas are not enough to dampen great friendships and we have really looked forward to this reunion. They weren’t home! This time though I was smart enough to leave a phone number (OK, David reminded me but I still did it!) and we left to head to see my Aunt Bernice (who hadn’t gotten a phone number with the little note we left for her the other day!).
Bernice is my Dad’s sister. Four foot nothing and a bundle of energy! Now in her 80’s she shows little sign of it and hopped up (she has to when she is only four feet!) to embrace us with a strong and enthusiastic hug that once again belies those 80+ years. We spent a lovely morning reminiscing, looking through pictures and enjoying a rainy day together. By mid day when we were heading out to the garden to get a tour of the incredible amount of gardening that she still tackles, the sun had begun to shine – and while metaphorically that was certainly true, it had really begun to turn into a wonderful day! Change plans again and head out around the bay!
In that special way God has of letting you know that He blesses good decisions, Dolores called to ask what we were doing with the day just as we were heading back to the spot where the friendship began! We picked her up along the way and were on our way back to the “hood”!
I always chuckle when I call Holyrood “the place where I grew up”. Firstly, because sometimes I think I never did (grow up that is) but mostly because I don’t know why Holyrood gets that distinction. I didn’t live there longer than anywhere else. In fact, until Mississauga (and even there we lived in three different houses, neighbourhoods, parishes, etc.), I had never lived anywhere for more than five years. Nonetheless, in my mind, Holyrood is home.
The biggest change was that everything got smaller while I was away! The school, the houses, and the church – they were all massive, imposing structures when we left. Now they are all considerably smaller. Curious??! Smaller, and unfortunately sometimes sad. Our house for example is quite run down and it was a little funny to see it as one of the “rough lookin’ places in town!” Our junior high, apparently, has been closed for years, so it too was cheerless. All that said, it was still a totally awesome day!
It was curious how some things that I haven’t thought of in years came back with startling clarity with a little visual cue! When we were kids Dad had the keys to Crosbie’s summer home. I think because the RCMP kept an eye on the house throughout the year when they were away and Dad got it from them, we had access to an indoor swimming pool … unheard of in Newfoundland! I can hardly believe that I had forgotten, but I hadn’t thought of that pool in years. We came around a bend in the road and as soon as I saw it the memories came flooding back … the mind is a funny thing … or maybe that’s just my mind!
We returned to the city and between phone calls wishing David a happy birthday, Len and Sharon called and invited us to dinner. We ended our day counting our blessings, yet again, that we have friends that we have not seen in years, who can call us out of the blue, and we can spend a delightful evening as if time had never passed!
Wonderful descriptions, Maggie! You make us feel we're experiencing all these good times and meeting your friends right along with you. And we now have an explaination as to why weather has never stopped you from doing what you want...it's obviously a NFLD state of mind.
ReplyDeleteI don't think I should be surprised but your pictures and stories about how warm and welcoming the people are is almost exactly what I would have expected. Its interesting isn't it ... the buildings and places may seem a little smaller than you remember but your family and friends haven't changed a bit!!
ReplyDeleteBTW ... I was relieved to hear that there is a Tim's within walking distance regardless of the weather (heehee)
Most of all the pictures are the same but then again different,
ReplyDeleteI think Dolores hasn't changed a bit. And were I gashed my back yes I still remember, I have a scar the length of pen.
Please con't to write
Nancy -xxx-