Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 7

David laughed at me this morning as we picked up our morning coffee at the Drive-Thru and the girl at Tim Horton’s asked if we needed a “try” … it took me a minute to realize that she meant a tray!! Guess it has been a while since I’ve been home.

We took our coffee and headed out to Quidi Vidi to walk around the lake. You’ve seen how it’s spelled … It’s pronounced Kiddie Viddie. By those who think they’re a bit grander than the rest, it’s Kwi Da Vi Da and according to GPS it’s Qwee Dee Vee Dee. Although we knew where we are going we left the GPS running and would break into gales of laughter every time it said it! The poor old GPS is getting a real workout! We do know our way around but leave it on in the car “just in case”. Many of the intersections downtown are far from perpendicular so it’s common to hear poor old Madge (a Madgellen) say, “slight left, right turn followed by a sharp left”!!! Glad we know where we’re going.

Walking around the lake was wonderful. The air tastes different on a walk in Newfoundland. There is a sweet cleanness – it just isn’t the same here. As we strolled and took pictures we happened on two interesting sites. The first was an adult playground. As you can see from the sign, they do not recommend children younger than 14 years of age. It was a really cool outdoor gym. The equipment uses your own body weight to work pecs, another leg extensions, an elliptical machine, a rowing machine, it went on and on! So cool!



Along the way we also met Lynda Boyd out walking her little dog. For those of you not making the connection she is Rose on the Republic of Doyle. Apparently they started filming today for the next season so no one was surprised that we saw her. I was pretty thrilled though. David wanted a picture but I would let him. I was happy with a smile and good morning – that’s the Newfie way.


Shortly after that it turned right mauzy. So we headed back to the car and focused on the eternal quest for food. Not before stopping at the harbor to listen to the mid day symphony though. The ships in the harbor begin a musical interlude each day … with their ship horns. Not really sure I can call it music, but hugely entertaining nonetheless! I did record it but thought I could edit. Turns out with David’s computer, I can’t! I’m not bothering to send the link to the 2 minute clip … it really wasn’t that good!

We ended up at the Tea Room in Holyrood. On an earlier post you saw the Beach Cottage where David and I met. While that is now closed the Tea Room is so much the same it might have been hard for someone less familiar to know the difference. I finally had a feed of cod and scruncheons, served by a waitress who worked with me back in my days at the Beach Cottage 35 years ago! I was shocked by the number of people who recognized me. I didn’t know who half of them were but they all knew me on sight. When I look at this mug in the mirror I see wrinkles but apparently according to folks in Newfoundland I haven’t changed a bit – no wonder I love it here!


Bride Lewis was a waitress with me 35 years ago and she was our waitress today!

Pan fried cod and scruncheons!

After dinner this evening we set out for Middle Cove Beach to see if the caplin were rolling. Caplin are little smelt-like fish that come to spawn on the Newfoundland beaches and begin a food chain reaction that brings whales into the bays and harbours. As we traveled along the shore the fog rolled in and it appeared the perfect caplin weather. Alas, standing among the young and old with their nets and buckets at the ready, we were left waiting another day for that first magic wave that comes ashore leaving caplin stranded in its wake. It was a fond reminder of the many times we did that as kids.


For hundreds of years Newfoundlanders have stood on the shore waiting for the first caplin roll. The wave as it approaches is quite literally made of caplin and as it recedes the caplin are left on shore to be scooped up – taken as a reward for those patient souls, waiting on cold foggy nights such as these. We watched while people of all ages sat around bonfires and stood at the water’s edge to be the first to spot the silvery little fish. It won’t be long now and that means by the time Cliff and Liz get here the whales should be plentiful!

5 comments:

  1. You ran across Rose from the Republic of Doyle! Newfoundland's a smaller island than I thought. You have got to take us to the adult playground for a play date. The way you're going through the island - will there be anything new for you to discover by the time we get there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the adult playground! That would probably get me to the gym more often. I had to Google "sruncheon", what do they teach us in these Ontario schools? Glad you're having such a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Nancy, Come home! I've waited way too long. It won't be 16 years before I'm here again.
    @ Liz, Play date is planned. We have dinner reservations at 5:30 next Thursday at the Tea Room - window table. I am actually driving myself crazy just having a "little taste" of all this waiting until you get here for the main course!!
    @ Erin, Honey if you knew what sruncheons were you would never fit into that wedding dress in a couple of weeks. I'll be the guest in the mumu!

    ReplyDelete
  4. scruncheons - YUMMM!!! Haven't had them since I moved out on my own...

    ReplyDelete