Today another dreary day dawned. Not to be deterred, we struck out with jackets but regrettably without toques and gloves – not kidding, could have used both!! Now I’m not complaining since we can dress warmly and still head outside. I am not under any illusion that I would be anywhere other than air conditioning if I were in Ontario right now.
We went first down to Devon House, home of the Newfoundland and Labrador Craft Council Gallery and Shop. Our friend Sharon (we had dinner there last night) is the Gallery Director for the Craft Council and we had a private guided tour of the exhibit. David and I had decided, before we left Ontario, that we would buy ourselves some Newfoundland art as a souvenir of the trip. Again today we have discovered two more outstanding artists. Karen Colbourne Martin has created a piece in Sharon’s gallery that causes a physical tug as you discover its splendor.
I really can’t say anymore since I know Cliff and Liz are reading this and I don’t want to spoil the experience for them. I’m not sure I could honour her work with any kind of description anyway – if only I could write like that! A neat connection for Liz though in that Karen was a feature artist in the Canadian Art and Craft Exhibit for the 2010 Olympics! The second artistic duo I can say a little more about and offer a link (if anyone is interested). Knowing we had to take Cliff and Liz back, we made plans for a visit when they arrive and had Sharon guide us on what promises to be a pretty entertaining home studio visit as well. They are very whimsical artists and it makes me smile just to look at their work. Besides, they are fellow bloggers so I already know I’ll love them! Check it out … www.thegrumpygoatgallery.blogspot.com
From the Devon House we continued along Duckworth Street checking out are the little craft shops on that end of the city. Although it was cold enough to freeze you, being so close to Signal Hill I could resist no longer and we headed up despite the weather.
We left the hill to go buy some more warm clothes! As a book store can never be passed by, we ended up securing a copy of Where Genesis Begins, the latest collaboration of Tom Dawe and Gerald Squires. Tom is the poet laureate who charmed us with his recitations at the exhibit opening on Sunday and the gallery was none other than the Gerald Squires gallery. The review of the book described Tom Dawe as a visual poet and Gerald Squires as a poetic artist! Enough said! As I blog tonight, David continues to interrupt as he discovers yet another poem that just has to be shared! Hoping that we might be able to track them down again before we leave and have our copy autographed. We’ll see.
After a quick sandwich at the little mall kiosk next to the book store, where the soup David had was homemade turkey with delicious chunks of vegetables, and my sandwich was fine without peppers as long as the lady could substitute some other veggie because, “you need your vegetables love.” … only in Newfoundland you say? Our final stop of the day was a positively delightful visit to 633 Southside Road.
This was my grandparent’s home where they raised their enormous brood. Grammie and Grampie had 22 children and lived in a little house on the south side hills which became known simply as “633”. Seven years ago the old house needed much work from its 85 years of sheltering all those children and the tough decision was made to begin again. Over a three month period the old house was leveled and construction began anew. If I am completely honest I approached with trepidation. So many happy memories and my sense of family pride and tradition resided there. As unrealistic as it might be, sometimes you just don’t want things to change. 633 was like that for me. Much to my delight little had! The design from the old house is clearly evident in the new. The furniture and decoration was virtually unaltered. 633 as well as being a lovely home is very much a place of pilgrimage for the Horan’s – a place where my life is placed into the fabric of a much larger family quilt creating a tapestry that is possibly the most beautiful piece of artwork we’ve seen since we arrived. I’ll be interested to see how Cliff and Liz respond when we bring them for a return visit … is my reaction simply deep, personal family pride or is the charm palpable to all?
Here is what else never changes … the Aunts! Does no one age on this island?? I swear these people haven’t changed in 30 years! Yesterday when we visited Aunt Bernice I believe I forgot to mention that now in her 80s she is still cross stitching and smocking. I can’t see well enough to do that now! I mentioned that and she says she has no problem. Occasionally needs reading glasses for the cross stitch – imagine! But as we looked through pictures she was fine while David (bless him) went out to the car to get my glasses!
Back to 633 … Aunt Regina will be 87 in a couple of months and she is amazing! I have no hope of having inherited that gene since I’m not in that kind of shape now!
Nothing has changed about them. Despite the fact that we had arrived unannounced, the dining room was fully set and ready. The silver and crystal laying patiently in wait to serve our second lunch of the day … “no thank you we’ve had lunch” was not an acceptable answer. What do I know? I’m so glad that it wasn’t though as we spent the remainder of the afternoon in blissful reminiscence! I was sent to explore the house and told to poke everywhere. I know they understand, despite the fact it is their home, it is also in some way mine too. The house and I were reacquainted. I admired her changes, was comforted by her steadfastness in the face of change, and remembered why I always loved that house.
We finished with the official tour as they reminded, and at times revealed, the family history that I am so blessed to be a part of. Lord, will these wonderful, magical, incredible days never end?
Grampie Horan as he left for war.
Grammie Horan at 18.
Grampie's war medals.

HOLY COW!!!!
ReplyDeleteI think it is just amazing ... Maggie you talk so eloquently about your sense of personal history related to the 'family' house. I can picture this ... heck I can even feel what you are referring to.
But ... I can't help but wonder if it isn't so personal that maybe I won't be able to share the same thing and then in the same blog you absolutely blow me away with the description and picture of the shell casing and letter from the King ... a clear sense of history doesn't come much better than this. No wonder Jeffery has such a passion for history ... its in his genes!
I can't wait until we meet up in a few days as you share the people,places, and family stories that helped make you who you are.
Thank you, Maggie, for sharing such previous memories with all of us. As I read I kept thinking, "Not only do I get to see it through your eyes, I'll soon experience it myself! What a great, good fortune is coming my way." Even before I read your text, the painting caught my eye. It's stunning. And, yes, the temperature's in the mid-40s here so enjoy the Atlantic winds.
ReplyDelete