Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 18

Wish I could report that, like all good Catholics, we were faithful in our quest for Mass this morning. Now we did indeed go to Mass, but the true motivation today was to allow Cliff and Liz to experience the Basilica. Not only did they appreciate the splendor and beauty of the cathedral but we were also informed that there was no choir this morning so needed some translation as they were informed by the commentator to “heave it outta ya”.

Heading to Holyrood for lunch at the Tearoom we called ahead for reservations. I was put through to the owner since no tables were available and when I told her who I was … a table by the window was reserved for whenever we arrived! Cliff and Liz were impressed but truly my only influence was that I had grown up in Holyrood and apparently that guarantees a seat at the table! Cod tongues and another round of fish later we were heading to the beach when we passed someone I was sure I recognized.

Pat Hamlin is the lady who is responsible for “us”! In June 1978, David had just started his first engineering job and was staying at the Beach Cottage Hotel and Dining Room. In a happy coincidence that was also where I had a summer job as a waitress. Pat, the owner at that time, brought me out and introduced me to David as “a nice Newfoundland girl who could show him the sights”. A sight I was that day too after a twelve hour shift! Guess my rumpledness didn’t matter too much though! We followed her home and stopped for a short visit as we shared pictures of the kids and she shared the stories of our early years with Cliff and Liz. They listen to all this with characteristic good grace but some of these visits must surely be just a little long and mind-numbing for them. Even I tire and the stories are about me!

A toddle on the beach netted a reward! Finally, the caplin were in! We were quickly swept up in the excitement as locals gathered and the entrepreneurial spirit blossomed as local kids braved the cold Atlantic waters to fill their salt meat buckets to sell on the roadside.




The ocean alive with fish.




Cold doesn't cover it.

As kids we spent much of the summer gathered around the water but the woods and hills surrounding the bay were also a source of unending adventure and entertainment. One of the favorite exploits was a trip up “the mountain with the cross on it”. We seldom referred to it as George Cove Mountain, its proper name. It was a bit of a strenuous climb but the rewarding vistas at the top were worth the effort. The town has cleared a path now making the trip a little less demanding but a cold drink to enjoy at the top would have been a splendid idea. Enthusiasm is great but it sometimes overshadows foresight!





Liz at the top!





Back in St. John’s, Grant was busy barbecuing Cliff and Liz’s first feed of moose! It was delicious and although Cliff had previously made us promise to allow him only one no matter how he cried and begged … well let’s just say we were once again stuffed and ready to visit Mount Pearl Days. A city in its own right, it is a suburb of St. John’s and was celebrating its birthday with a local fare. We watched the festivities, waiting for a local group, Shanneyganock, to rock the evening to a close. What a time! These guys are incredibly talented, not just with traditional Newfoundland music but also with getting a party started. You simply can’t sit still as you listen and the standing ovation was started by… LIZ!


Shanneyganock!

Another glorious day on The Rock.

1 comment:

  1. This day probably had the most authentic NL moments in it. We didn't do any tourist things but participated in activities with people who live there. Yes, we heard many interesting stories about Maggie & David in Holyrood, but I also enjoyed just listening to the cadence of NL voices of the people we met. And I couldn't believe the sheer number of fish on the beach. At first I thought I was looking at dark rocks or even seawed since they were so tightly packed. The caplins were actually very attractive fish with a dark emerald-coloured double ridges running along the back and silver bellies. And who knew that moose burgers were so lean yet so tasty? The evening's concert just rounded off a great day. I felt like a Newfoundlander wanna-be today!

    ReplyDelete