Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 16

This morning was a bit of a rough start. Wanting to get caught up on the blogging, email, etc. from our lackluster connectivity in Burin, wanting to let David sleep in and not wanting to keep Cliff and Liz waiting … breakfast didn’t happen. Once we picked them up we figured they would understand our quest for coffee so I was somewhat dismayed to find Cliff, by himself, at the curb, waving for us to park the car and come in the B & B. He gave us a parking permit and insisted that we come inside to meet Brenda, the lady who had cooked their breakfast at the B&B.

As they were having breakfast that morning Liz had become concerned that they would be late in meeting us, and glanced at her watch to check the time. Evidently the woman at the B&B noticed, and not wishing to appear rude, Liz explained that she was being picked up by friends and was concerned about keeping them waiting. Brenda asked who the friend was and Liz decided to try out the Horan connection. Evidently Brenda was impressed. She insisted that they bring us in.

I was greeted with a, “Come here ‘til I gives ya squeeze. Sit down now and let me cook ya some breakfast. You comes from good stock you do. I’m runnin’ around like a blue arse fly, but let me get set now and I’ll be back.” With that she was off which left to let us catch our breath from the whirlwind welcome. She had given us a parking pass (downtown parking is a bit of a nightmare) and told us to be sure that, “Your arse is in the seat before you takes it out of the window, since the police are shockin’.” What followed was a visit that lasted over an hour. It included fresh blueberry/partridgeberry pancakes, coffee and juice, stories, singing and much laughter. She was a hoot and I realized that The Narrows B & B was perfect! It was as close to a Newfie experience as Cliff and Liz could get. Brenda is delightful – of course it doesn’t hurt that she thinks I’m the greatest, even though she had never met me before … apparently me being Horan is all that’s required! Although David and I weren’t staying in the B & B, we left fully fed and ready to face the day.

We headed first to Devon House to show Cliff and Liz the art display. I can tell you now that the picture we mentioned before that we wanted them to see, is in fact not a painting at all but quilted fabric. I have never seen anything like it before and was delighted when Cliff and Liz shared my reaction. I think I’m ready to say that this is the most incredible piece of art work I have ever seen! Exquisite!

On to Signal Hill to experience the city, the sea, the beauty and the history of St. John’s in one easy stop. We meandered around the cliffs and followed the trails. Cliff and Liz have been so marvelous in their reactions! If they are not truly enjoying it as much as I’d hoped, they at least doing a great job of fooling me! Following the road under the hill we explored The Battery and Liz was hilarious as she ran ahead not knowing which way to look first. We could see as she stopped at one point on the trail ahead of us. She clearly didn’t know which way to point the camera and finally settled on every way as she would snap a picture and turn a step snap another picture, and then turn another step.



St. John's from Signal Hill
The tour guide showing the "come from aways"

Liz and me hiking

We went to the Duke of Duckworth for a round of pan fried cod for lunch. Cliff ordered just one piece but thankfully I was there to sort him out and assure him he wanted two … I have been appropriately thanked. As we left the pub, one of the Constabulary mounted unit went by on his horse. I have a cousin who serves as one of those (only) four officers and somehow Liz convinced me to “follow that horse! “ just in case it might have been him. We must have looked quite funny, as he was significantly far and we took off, one after the other, to chase a horse and rider through downtown! Surprisingly, we did eventually catch him and though it wasn’t George apparently as soon as I start to speak, ‘I look like the Horans” and he gave us all the information we needed to catch up to George when he was next scheduled to be out.


Parking? I am the only thing straight in this picture ... and there will be no comments!


A walk around Quidi Vidi lake ended the afternoon as they dropped me with my friend Dolores and we separated. I spent the rest of the day sharing wonderful stories with old friends, Kathy (Murray) and Don Corbett, who were not able to join us for the earlier reunion. They have been together since high school. They now have three beautiful children and have built a lovely home in Holyrood. It was another delightful evening. Reminding me again that it’s good to go back!


Liz and Maggie on a play date!


Imagine ... a house in the city ... at Quidi Vidi



(L-R) Trudy, Colleen, Maggie, Kathy, Dolores, Kathy

The challenge is on now though for Cliff, Liz and/or David to respond to this post. They stayed behind in St. John’s and continued to explore Bowring Park and George Street. So as long as what happens on George Street doesn’t stay on George Street, they will have to tell you what happened with them after I left. I understand that they had a great time and that David had another police encounter … but those aren’t my stories to tell.


2 comments:

  1. Without Maggie as our navigator that evening, Cliff, David and I wandered aimlessly. Hungry and thirsty we were one step away removed from the homeless. Finally I stepped up to the plate and parked the two of them in a pub while I did all important reconnaissance in the craft shops. We eventually met up in a George St. watery called Bridie Malloys to listen to live music, drink beer (cider for me) and eat hearty pub food. For an evening stroll, we decided to get lost in the rich part of town (Rennie's Mill Road) to check all the gorgeous Victorian homes. Even better most of them didn't close their drapes so we had a good peek at how people live out here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Cliff here ... I laughed when I read Liz's comment ... as I recall it took David and me some time to finally send Liz on her way to do some shopping when we could finally have a pint of beer in peace ... the rest of her story of our adventure without our researched tourguide is quite accurate... a great night.
    I also loved out time at Bowring's Pond ... we saw several of the little adventures that have made this trip such a wonderful time. I was fastinated watching the hawk circling the pond for at least 15 minutes until the final of three swoops rewarded him with a small fish. WE also laughed at the battle of the sexes played out with the pidgeons. The big fat boys would not be put off by the ladies of their choice no matter how hard they tried to get away. Little boys have a different attitude to pidgeons than girls who want to just feed the pidgeons. The boys had this idea that the real fun comes with sneaking up on unsuspecting pidgeons yelling and jumping up and down. The birds sure scatter in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete